Implementing a Corporate Strategy for Intellectual Property: What To Do In-House and What You Want From Outside Counsel.
An in-house perspective on building and managing patents and other IP, this CLE will cover such topics as:
- Considerations in developing your IP strategy.
- Building and communicating your IP strategy, both internally and externally.
- Implementing your IP strategy, including securing, leveraging, and enforcing patents and other forms of IP.
- Dealing with changing legal landscapes.
- The role(s) that outside counsel can play throughout the process.
Karna is the Associate General Counsel for Intellectual Property at Cadence Design Systems, Inc. and legal business partner to the Verification business unit. Karna leads a team of patent attorneys and paralegals responsible for all of Cadence's patent portfolio, including building a strategic portfolio plan for the executive team. She also manages the legal end of Cadence's open source registration system and anti-piracy program. In her career, she has created open source processes and systems, created IP Due Diligence processes for M&A, advised on complex IP agreements, drafted IP asset agreements, along with drafting and prosecuting many patent applications. Karna was chair of the ACC's National Intellectual Property Committee from 2013-2015. Karna received an engineering degree from Princeton University and her law degree from UCLA School of Law and is a registered patent attorney.